We'll cover the following topics:
- number systems
- binary arithmetic
- boolean logic
- relation to computers; colors; images
- binary formats; bitmap examples
- CSC 110 Readings: Read the chapter 2 selections, and work through the example problems (not graded).
- The Numeral article on Wikipedia has information on lots of different numbers systems that have been used, including one where "1–4 may be the fingers, 5 'thumb', 6 'wrist', 7 'elbow', 8 'shoulder', etc., across the body and down the other arm, so that the opposite pinkie represents a number between 17 (Torres Islands) to 23 (Eleman)."
- The Two's complement article discusses why that way of representing negative numbers is useful (I got the description wrong in class).